"Built as a collegiate church for the Jesuit Brothers by Brother Huyssens. Erected in Baroque style in 1619 and completed in 1643. First church in the Low Countries and probably in the world, that is devoted to Saint Francis Xavier, a great missionary of India and Japan, where he stayed from 1549 to 1551. His letters illustrate the great esteem and appreciation he showed for the Japanese people." (Text from the leaflet found inside the church).