Founded by Carmelite nuns in the mid-15th century, the church was rebuilt by the architect Cerutti in the late 17th century for the Cistercians (whence the name ‘Cestello’). Facing the Arno, it has a façade in rough stone and a dome standing on a tall drum, completed by Antonio Maria Ferri in 1698. Inside, the aisle-less nave with side chapels and the transept are lit by large windows and embellished with baroque stuccoes. In the 17th and 18th century artists such as Antonio Domenico Gabbiani, Camillo Sagrestani, Pier Dandini and Francesco Curradi worked here. Some 14th- and 15th-century paintings and sculptures came here from the old church of San Frediano, Next to the Cestello stands the principal Seminary of Florence. (Text from the information plaque).