Not working? Install DevalVR, QT or Flash  polski English RSS feedFollow us on TwitterFollow me on Pinterest
Search in panoramas:
»
The 15th century Gothic church of All Saints in Gliwice. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
The 15th century Gothic church of All Saints in Gliwice.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.0 MBViews: 4732 (#1361)
All Saints' Church in Gliwice: the painting in the main altarAll Saints' Church in GliwiceAll Saints' Church in GliwiceAll Saints' Church in GliwiceAll Saints' Church in Gliwice
The transmission tower of the Gliwice radio station, situated on Tarnogórska Road in Szobiszowice. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
The transmission tower of the Gliwice radio station, situated on Tarnogórska Road in Szobiszowice.

"It is an 118-metre high (including the 8 metre long spire on its top) construction of impregnated larch wood framework. The tower was nicknamed "the Silesian Eiffel Tower" by the local population, although the similarities are minor. Gliwice Radio Tower has four platforms, which are 40.4 m, 55.3 m, 80.0 m and 109.70 m above ground. The platform on its top has a size of 2.13 x 2.13 m. For access to its top, there is a ladder with 365 steps.

Gliwice Radio Tower is perhaps the tallest wooden structure in the world. It is designed to carry aerials for medium wave broadcasting, but the transmitter is not in service any more. It was built in 1935 in order to replace the former smaller transmitter of Gliwice situated in Raudener Street. It went in service on 23 December 1935.

On 31 August 1939, the Germans staged a 'Polish' attack on Gleiwitz radio station, which was later used as justification for the Invasion of Poland. The transmission facility was not demolished in World War II. From 4 October 1945, until the inauguration of the new transmitter in Ruda Śląska in 1955, the Gliwice transmitter was used for medium wave broadcasting of the Polish Broadcasting Company. After 1955, the transmitter was used as a jammer against medium wave transmitters broadcasting Western Polish-language programmes, e.g. Radio Free Europe.

Today, the Gliwice Radio Tower carries multiple transceiver antennas for mobile phone services and a low power FM transmitter. Following the decision of the City Council taken on 2 December 2004, the radio tower is a museum on radio history and visual arts, located in the former radio transmitter building." (Text taken from Wikipedia).

• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.7 MBViews: 5119 (#1142)
Gliwice Radio TowerThe top of Gliwice Radio Tower
The view of the interior of St. Mark's Basilica in Venice from the matroneum, the former women's gallery. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
The view of the interior of St. Mark's Basilica in Venice from the matroneum, the former women's gallery.

"Venice for centuries was Europe’s principal gateway between the Orient and the West, so it should come as no surprise that the architectural style for the sumptuously Byzantine Basilica di San Marco, replete with five mosquelike bulbed domes, was borrowed from Constantinople. Legend has it that in 828, two enterprising Venetian merchants smuggled the remains of St. Mark the Evangelist from Egypt by packing them in pickled pork to bypass the scrutiny of Muslim guards. Thus, St. Mark replaced the Greek St. Theodore as Venice’s patron saint, and a small chapel was built on this spot in his honor. Through the centuries (much of what you see was constructed in the 11th c.), wealthy Venetian merchants and politicians alike vied with one another in donating gifts to expand and embellish this church, the saint’s final resting place and, with the adjacent Palazzo Ducale, a symbol of Venetian wealth and power. Exotic and mysterious, it is unlike any other Roman Catholic church. And so it is that the Basilica di San Marco earned its name as the Chiesa d’Oro (Golden Church), with a cavernous interior exquisitely gilded with Byzantine mosaics added over some 7 centuries and covering every inch of both ceiling and pavement." (John Moretti: Frommer's Northern Italy, 2006).
• Added to the gallery on File size: 4.3 MBViews: 10864 (#139)
Mosaics of St. Mark's Basilica in VeniceMosaics of St. Mark's Basilica in VeniceMosaics of St. Mark's Basilica in Venice5 euros per person to see the gallery of St. Mark's Basilica in Venice
Loggia dei Cavalli — the balcony on the front of St. Mark's Basilica in Venice with a fantastic view of St. Mark's Square. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Loggia dei Cavalli — the balcony on the front of St. Mark's Basilica in Venice with a fantastic view of St. Mark's Square.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 2.9 MBViews: 5608 (#903)
St. Mark's BasilicaSt. Mark's BasilicaSt. Mark's BasilicaBronze horses from the Loggia dei CavalliBronze horses from the Loggia dei Cavalli
The famous Ponte dei Sospiri — the Bridge of Sighs — in Venice, Italy. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
The famous Ponte dei Sospiri — the Bridge of Sighs — in Venice, Italy.

Rio de Palazzo is the border between the San Marco and Castello sestieri; on the other side of the canal is the long wall of the Doge's Palace. Just above us is the Ponte della Paglia (The Bridge of Straw), always full of tourists looking at the Bridge of Sighs or watching the sun setting over Saint Mark's Basin.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.6 MBViews: 5792 (#822)
The Bridge of Sighs, VeniceThe Bridge of Sighs
Page
Locate all panoramas
Contact
Interested?
Mail me at
panoramy@zbooy.pl
Last comment
Thursday, Nov 2, 2017: On the walls of Palácio da Pena in Sintra, Portugal
Palácio da Pena
Czy to już jest koniec? :( (widz)
© Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
2005–2017