Not working? Install DevalVR, QT or Flash  polski English RSS feedFollow us on TwitterFollow me on Pinterest
Search in panoramas:
»
Inside the church of St. Simon and St. Helen on Independence Square in Minsk. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Inside the church of St. Simon and St. Helen on Independence Square in Minsk.

"Church of Saints Simon and Helen (Belarusian: Касцёл святых Сымона і Алены) also known as the Red Church (Чырвоны касцёл) is a Roman Catholic church on Independence Square in Minsk, Belarus.

This neo-Romanesque church was designed by polish architects Tomasz Pajzderski and Władysław Marconi, and built during 1905-1910. The bricks for its walls were sourced from Częstochowa, whilst the roof tiles came from Włocławek. Its construction was financed by Edward Woyniłłowicz, a prominent Belarusian civic activist. The church was named and consecrated in memory of Woyniłłowicz's deceased children, Szymon and Helena.

In 1903, about 2,000 Minsk's Catholics wrote a petition to local authorities asking for a site to start building new catholic church. This request was satisfied, and construction started in 1905. The church was consecrated on September 20, 1910. On December 21, 1910, the church was opened. In 1923, the church was robbed by the Red Army and in 1932 it was closed down by the Soviet authorities and transferred to the State Polish Theatre of the BSSR. Before the Second World War, the church was rebuilt into a cinema. In 1941, the German occupation administration returned to building to its original use as a church, but after the war it was again used as a cinema, called the "Soviet Belarus." In 1990, the building was returned to the Catholic Church. Since then it was renovated, and became an important centre of religious, cultural and social life. It also became a centre for the revived Belarusian Greek Catholic Church." (Text from Wikipedia).

• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.2 MBViews: 2494 (#2291)
The crib in the Red Church in MinskThe crib in the Red Church in Minsk
Inside the Refectory Church of Saint Anthony and Theodosius of the medieval cave monastery of Kiev Pechersk Lavra in Kiev, the capital of Ukraine. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Inside the Refectory Church of Saint Anthony and Theodosius of the medieval cave monastery of Kiev Pechersk Lavra in Kiev, the capital of Ukraine.

"The building was constructed in 1893-1895 at a time when more than a thousand monks were living within the monastery. The sturdy dome of the church incorporates some aspects of ancient Byzantium. The interior decoration of the building was designed by Aleksey Shchusev. The marble icons are in the Neo-Russian style. The paintings in both the refectory and the church, painted in the beginning of the 20th century by Ivan Yizhakevych, G. Popov, among many others, contain a Modernist influence. In the rear of the refectory is viewing area, providing visitors with a panorama of the Near and Far Caverns, the Dnieper River, and the left-bank of the city. In 1911 following the assassination of Pyotr Stolypin, the Russian politician's funeral service was held in the Refectory church and his grave is located in the Lavra." (Text from Wikipedia).
• Added to the gallery on File size: 4.1 MBViews: 2624 (#2240)
Inside the Jesuit Church in Lviv, Ukraine. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Inside the Jesuit Church in Lviv, Ukraine.

Wikipedia: When constructed in the 1610 and 1620s, it was one of the largest churches in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Sebastian Lachmius, a monk, based his design for the church on that of Il Gesù in Rome. His designs were modified by a professional Italian architect, Jacopo Briano, in 1618–1621. A curious addition to the original design was the 80-meter clocktower on the south side which used to be the tallest building in Galicia. The upper part of this early 18th-century tower was demolished in 1830. In 1740, the vaults were frescoed by the Eckstein brothers from Brno. The paintings were greatly injured during the Soviet period, when the church was used as a storage facility and suffered relative neglect.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.6 MBViews: 2319 (#2359)
Inside the Orthodox Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (commonly known as Uspieńska church or the Wallachian Church) in Lviv's Old Town. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Inside the Orthodox Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (commonly known as Uspieńska church or the Wallachian Church) in Lviv's Old Town.

The current building replaced an earlier church structure, and was built in the period 1591-1629 by Paul Roman, Wojciech Kapinos and Ambrose Przychylny; the bell tower was erected in the years 1571-1578 by Peter Barbon. The Orthodox Church complex is located at ul. Ruska and consists of the Uspensky church, bell tower (the Korniakta Tower) and the Chapel of the Three Saints.

The founder of the first church was Moldovan hospodar Alexandru Lăpușneanu (hence it carries the common name of Vlachs). The second church was erected on the initiative of the Brotherhood of Ouspensky, and the founder of the bell tower and the chapel was Constantine Corniaktos, a Greek merchant. Korniakta Tower is considered one of the most precious monuments of Polish architecture of the sixteenth century Mannerism architectural style." (Text from Wikipedia).

• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.7 MBViews: 2057 (#2445)
Locate all panoramas
Contact
Interested?
Mail me at
panoramy@zbooy.pl
Last comment
Thursday, Nov 2, 2017: On the walls of Palácio da Pena in Sintra, Portugal
Palácio da Pena
Czy to już jest koniec? :( (widz)
© Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
2005–2017