Not working? Install DevalVR, QT or Flash  polski English RSS feedFollow us on TwitterFollow me on Pinterest
Search in panoramas:
»
The ruins of the Čachtice Castle in western Slovakia. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
The ruins of the Čachtice Castle in western Slovakia.

"The Čachtice Castle (Čachtický hrad) is a castle ruin in Slovakia next to the village of Čachtice. It stands on a hill featuring rare plants, and has been declared a national nature reserve for this reason. The castle was a residence and later the prison of the Countess Alžbeta Báthory (Elizabeth Báthory, 1560-1614), who is alleged to have been the world's most prolific female serial killer.
Čachtice was built in the mid-13th century by Kazimir as a sentry on the road to Moravia. Later, it belonged to Matúš Csák, the Stibor family, and then to the famous Bloody Lady Elizabeth Báthory. Čachtice, its surrounding lands and villages, was a wedding gift from the Nádasdy family upon Elizabeth's marriage to Ferenc Nádasdy in 1575.
Originally, Čachtice was a Romanesque castle with an interesting horseshoe shaped residence tower. It was turned to a Gothic castle later and its size was increased in the 15th and 16th centuries. A Renaissance renovation followed in the 17th century. Finally, in 1708 the castle was captured and plundered by the rebels of Ferenc II Rákoci. It has been in decay since." (Text from Wikipedia).
• Added to the gallery on File size: 4.2 MBViews: 6052 (#639)
Čachtice CastleČachtice Castle
On the courtyard of the Old Town Hall in Bratislava. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
On the courtyard of the Old Town Hall in Bratislava.

The oldest town hall in Slovakia and one of the most ancient stone buildings in Bratislava is located between the Main Square and the Primate's Square. It was erected in Gothic style in 15th century by joining a few adjacent buildings. It had been used as a town hall until the late 19th century and now it hosts the Bratislava City Museum.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 2.9 MBViews: 5166 (#1004)
A detail from the courtyard of the Old Town Hall in BratislavaA detail from the courtyard of the Old Town Hall in BratislavaA detail from the courtyard of the Old Town Hall in BratislavaA detail from the courtyard of the Old Town Hall in BratislavaA detail from the courtyard of the Old Town Hall in BratislavaA detail from the courtyard of the Old Town Hall in Bratislava
Holy Trinity Church in Kraków, Krakowska Street. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Holy Trinity Church in Kraków, Krakowska Street.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.6 MBViews: 4996 (#1096)
Inside the ancient church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin in Rome, Italy. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Inside the ancient church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin in Rome, Italy.

"The church of S. Maria in Cosmedin is one of the most admired and best known to foreigners of all Rome’s ancient churches. This is probably partly due to the fact that it was one of the first to have been restored to the simple dignity of its ancient origins, in 1894–99. The old name for the church, S. Maria in Schola Graeca, reveals its origin. It was built in the sixth century to serve the Greek colony, whose numbers were later swollen by the arrival of refugees fleeing first from the Arab invasions and later from the iconoclasts. Schola, as we will recall, meant an association or confraternity, which could be the members of a foreign colony as well as a guild of artisans. The church was built on the site of the Ara Maxima of Hercules, reaching its present form and size in the amplification begun by Hadrian 1 in 782. Some of the columns of the ancient building are still to be seen in the church. Various interpretations have been put upon the word Cosmedin, but it is now generally believed to derive from Kosmidion, the name given by Greek refugees fleeing persecution in Byzantium, as the building recalled the church of the same name in Byzantium; this word in turn is related to the Greek kosmos, meaning ornament, and the root of our word ‘cosmetic’. S. Maria was enlarged in the eighth century, from which period dates a marble mosaic of opus sectile in front of the altar. The very fine cosmatesque pavement, choir and paschal candlestick are, however, of the twelfth century, the episcopal throne and beautiful altar canopy from the thirteenth, this last being executed in 1294 by Deodato, son of the famous Cosma. The portico, where the Bocca della Verità stands, and the superb campanile, were built in the twelfth century." (Georgina Masson: The Companion Guide to Rome, Woodbridge 2009).
• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.5 MBViews: 1814 (#2489)
All Saints' Day at the Military Cemetery in Kraków: graves of unknown soldiers. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
All Saints' Day at the Military Cemetery in Kraków: graves of unknown soldiers.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 6.2 MBViews: 3325 (#1897)
Page
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Locate all panoramas
Contact
Interested?
Mail me at
panoramy@zbooy.pl
Last comment
Thursday, Nov 2, 2017: On the walls of Palácio da Pena in Sintra, Portugal
Palácio da Pena
Czy to już jest koniec? :( (widz)
© Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
2005–2017