Not working? Install DevalVR, QT or Flash  polski English RSS feedFollow us on TwitterFollow me on Pinterest
Search in panoramas:
»
A January morning on Piazza Farnese in Rome, Italy. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
A January morning on Piazza Farnese in Rome, Italy.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 2.9 MBViews: 4587 (#1438)
Campo de' Fiori in Rome, Italy. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Campo de' Fiori in Rome, Italy.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.4 MBViews: 3701 (#1844)
Campo de' Fiori in the 1740s, etching by Giuseppe Vasi (from Wikimedia Commons)
Inside the Church of the Most Holy Trinity of Pilgrims (Chiesa della Santissima Trinità dei Pellegrini) in the Regola rione of Rome. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Inside the Church of the Most Holy Trinity of Pilgrims (Chiesa della Santissima Trinità dei Pellegrini) in the Regola rione of Rome.

Urged by Filippo Neri, by 1540 lay members of his order gathered at the church of San Girolamo della Carita. Neri soon had Pope Paul III recognize the group it as the Confraternita della Santissima Trinita de' Pellegrini e de' Convalescenti (Fraternity of the Holy Trinity of Pilgrims and Convalescent. For the Jubilee of 1550, the group took on the burden of hosting pilgrims, with particular regard for those who came from distant lands. After Holy Year, the association cared for the convalescent poor, discharged from city hospitals. In 1558, Pope Paul IV assigned them the perpetual use of the church of San Benedetto in Arenula, which was in very bad condition. The next year, the fraternity bought a house near the church to be used as a hospital-hospice. For the Jubilee of 1575, the fraternity hosted more than 180,000 pilgrims. The fraternity ultimately tore down the decrepit church, and decided to build a new. The first stone was laid on February 26, 1587, and consecration took place on June 12, 1616 and titled Santissima Trinita e San Benedetto. In subsequent centuries the parish and adjacent buildings continued to serve as a hospice for pilgrims, or as a hospital. (Text from Wikipedia).
• Added to the gallery on File size: 4.2 MBViews: 2956 (#2091)
Inside the church of Santa Maria dell'Orazione e Morte (Saint Mary of the Prayer and Death) on Via Giulia in Rome, Italy. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Inside the church of Santa Maria dell'Orazione e Morte (Saint Mary of the Prayer and Death) on Via Giulia in Rome, Italy.

First built in 1575, the church was completely rebuilt by Ferdinando Fuga in 1733 using an elliptical plan.

Inside may be seen frescoes of St. Anthony Abbot and St. Paul of Thebes by Giovanni Lanfranco; these were removed and transferred to this church from a now-lost structure built by Odoardo Farnese. [...]

Additionally, the church houses a chamber decorated with human bones; a large number of skulls, candelabras constructed of bones, and a large cross adorned with skulls are among the room's adornments. This chamber is located through a door to the left of the main altar and is rarely open to visitors.

Santa Maria was built by a confraternity that assumed responsibility for interring abandoned corpses in Rome. It is remarkable for the depictions of laureled skulls over the façade entrance and other death imagery. In this it has some of the morbid encrustations also seen in the Roman church of the Capuchins. Its charity was, and still is, supported by the Arciconfraternita di Santa Maria dell'Orazione e Morte, a purgatorial society dating to the 1560s. Burials were performed in their cemetery, once sited on the banks of the Tiber adjacent to the church. Architect Fuga and San Carlo Borromeo were members of the fraternity.

• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.7 MBViews: 3636 (#1871)
The church of Santa Maria dell'Orazione e Morte, Rome
In the crypt, decorated with bones, below the church of Santa Maria dell'Orazione e Morte on Via Giulia in Rome. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
In the crypt, decorated with bones, below the church of Santa Maria dell'Orazione e Morte on Via Giulia in Rome.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 2.6 MBViews: 3292 (#1974)
The crypt of the church of Santa Maria dell'Orazione e Morte, Rome, ItalyThe crypt of the church of Santa Maria dell'Orazione e Morte, Rome, ItalyThe crypt of the church of Santa Maria dell'Orazione e Morte, Rome, ItalyThe crypt of the church of Santa Maria dell'Orazione e Morte, Rome, ItalyThe crypt of the church of Santa Maria dell'Orazione e Morte, Rome, Italy
Locate all panoramas
Random image
Contact
Interested?
Mail me at
panoramy@zbooy.pl
Last comment
Thursday, Nov 2, 2017: On the walls of Palácio da Pena in Sintra, Portugal
Palácio da Pena
Czy to już jest koniec? :( (widz)
© Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
2005–2017