|Inside the chapel of Madonna Della Strada in the Jesuit church of Il Gesù in Rome.
Wikipedia: The Madonna Della Strada is the patroness of the Society of Jesus. Its founder, Ignatius of Loyola, was said to have been protected by the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary during battle in his service as a soldier. The name goes back to a shrine established in Rome in the 5th century by the Astalli family, originally known as the Madonna degli Astalli. In 1568, Cardinal Alessandro Farnese erected the Gesù Church of Rome, the mother church of the Jesuits, in place of the former church of Santa Maria della Strada. The icon is located between two altars, the first dedicated to St. Ignatius, the second, the main altar of the Church, dedicated to the Holy Name of Jesus. The icon was restored in 2006, revealing at least two layers of previous paint, the original art being a fresco which had been detached from a wall and affixed to canvas.
• Added to the gallery on Mar 21, 2012
• File size: 3.9 MB
: 3891 (#1802
Inside the church of Sts. Cosmas and Damian (Santi Cosma e Damiano) in the Roman Forum. #
• Added to the gallery on Feb 2, 2013
• File size: 4.3 MB
: 4077 (#1723
Inside Sant'Ignazio, the Baroque church in Rome, dedicated to St. Ignatius of Loyola (1491-1556), the founder of the Society of Jesus.
"The vault of the nave has Rome's most famous baroque fresco (1693-1694). The artist, Andrea Pozzo, a Jesuit, was a master of perspective. By using trompe l'oeil architecture, he extends the height of the building and opens it to the heavens. The fresco depicts the Society of Jesus' missionary activity throughout the world; the Savior sends a ray of light into the heart of Ignatius; this, in turn, is transmitted to the then four known continents (Africa, America, Asia, and Europe), where Jesuit missionaries were active." (Joseph N. Tylenda: The Pilgrim's Guide to Rome's Principal Churches, Kansas City 2010).
• Added to the gallery on Dec 21, 2011
• File size: 4.0 MB
: 5547 (#935
Inside the church of Santa Maria sopra Minerva in Rome.
Wikipedia: The Basilica of Saint Mary Above Minerva (Italian: Basilica di Santa Maria sopra Minerva) is a titular minor basilica and one of the most important churches of the Roman Catholic Dominican order in Rome
, Italy. The church, located in the Piazza della Minerva in the Campus Martius region, is considered the only Gothic church in Rome
. It houses the tombs of the St. Catherine of Siena and the Dominican painter Fra Angelico. The basilica gets its name because, like many early Christian basilicas, it was built directly over (sopra
) the foundations of a temple dedicated to the Egyptian goddess Isis, but erroneously ascribed to the Greco-Roman goddess Minerva. Behind a self-effacing facade, its arched vaulting is painted with brilliant red ribbing, and blue with gilded stars, a 19th century restoration in the Gothic taste. The basilica is located on the small piazza Minerva close to the Pantheon
, in the rione
To the left of the main altar there is a marble sculpture of Christ the Redeemer by the master Michelangelo Buonarroti, finished in 1521.
• Added to the gallery on Dec 22, 2011
• File size: 4.2 MB
: 4591 (#1447
Inside the church of San Lorenzo in Lucina in Rome, Italy.
"The most ancient memories of the basilica go back to the 5th century. It was later completely rebuilt by Pasquale II (1099-1118) and consecrated in 1130 by Anacletus II, the antipope. For a long time, the church served the outer limits of the populated area to the north. At the end of the 16th century, it came to have one of the largest number of parishioners. In 1606, Paul V granted it to the Chierici Regolari Minori of St. Francis Caraccioli, known as the Caracciolini. Towards the end of the 17th century, drastic rebuilding got underway, directed by Cosimo Fanzago (1591-1678), of which only the marble inlay pulpit and two baptismal fonts survive today. The nave shows its 19th century character, due to the restoration undertaken in 1856-60 by Pope Pius IX (whose coat of arms is repeated twice in the lacunar ceiling)." (Text found inside the church).
• Added to the gallery on Dec 29, 2012
• File size: 4.8 MB
: 3896 (#1798