|La porchetta più lunga del mondo - the longest porchetta in the world, being prepared during a charity fair on Piazza Dante in Bergamo, Italy.
"Porchetta is a savory, fatty, and moist boneless pork roast of Italian culinary tradition. The body of the pig is gutted, deboned, arranged carefully with layers of stuffing, meat, fat, and skin, then rolled, spitted, and roasted, traditionally over wood. Porchetta is usually heavily salted in addition to being stuffed with garlic, rosemary, fennel, or other herbs, often wild. Porchetta has been selected by the Italian Ministero delle Politiche Agricole, Alimentari e Forestali as a "prodotto agroalimentare tradizionale" ("traditional agricultural-alimentary product", one of a list of traditional Italian foods held to have cultural relevance). Although popular in the whole country, porchetta originated in central Italy, with Ariccia (in the Province of Rome) being the town most closely associated with it. Elsewhere, it is considered a celebratory dish." (Wikipedia)
This one was 30 metres long and weighted 600 kilograms. Roasting began at 10pm and it was ready after 12 hours, when it was cut into 2500 slices sold within an hour.
• Added to the gallery on Jun 10, 2010
• File size: 2.4 MB
: 5022 (#1210
La porchetta più lunga del mondo - the longest porchetta in the world, being prepared during a charity fair on Piazza Dante in Bergamo, Italy. #
• Added to the gallery on Jun 11, 2010
• File size: 2.7 MB
: 4845 (#1301
The view from the terrace of the upper station of the San Vigilio funicular railway in Bergamo, Italy. #
• Added to the gallery on May 10, 2012
• File size: 2.8 MB
: 3261 (#1992
The terrace of this café, located in the upper terminus of the funicular railway, gives you some splendid views over the Lower Bergamo. #
• Added to the gallery on May 16, 2012
• File size: 2.7 MB
: 2998 (#2086
On the rain-soaked top of the medieval Torre Gombito in Upper Bergamo, Italy.
"The tower stands at the intersection where the Roman cardus and decumanus maximus streets met (respectively Via S. Lorenzo, Via Mario Lupo and Via Gombito). It was built in the 12th century. The structure, consisting of stone blocks, dominates the cityscape, and, even today, given its height, is a key landmark in Upper Bergamo.
In 1206 a fire broke out in the tower during disorders occasioned by struggles between the Suardi and Rivola families, belonging to the opposing Guelph and Ghibelline parties. The tower passed into the hands of Bartolomeo del Zoppo in 1263. The tower remained a defensive structure until the 16th century, after which it took on a non-military role when a workshop was opened up.
In 1848, the tower was used by patriotic rebels against Austrian domination. The aim of the rebels was to turn the soldiers out of the Rocca (fortress) in which the latter were barricaded. Following this action, the Austrian authorities decided to demolish the wooden interior stairway in order to prevent access to the upper part of the tower.
In 1877, since they were no longer able to provide for maintenance of the structure, which was indeed deprived of the means of internal communication, the owners (Agliardi, Arnoldi and Gout) donated the tower to the Municipality. In 1892, in view of the ongoing deterioration of the tower walls, it was decided to build a wooden stairway (the stairway is still in use today)." (Text from the tourist information leaflet).
• Added to the gallery on May 15, 2012
• File size: 3.0 MB
: 2518 (#2292