|On the campanile of St. Mark's Basilica in Venice.
"It is one of the most recognizable symbols of the city.
The tower is 98.6 metres (323 ft) tall, and stands alone in a corner of St Mark's Square, near the front of the basilica. It has a simple form, the bulk of which is a fluted brick square shaft, 12 metres (39 ft) wide on each side and 50 metres (160 ft) tall, above which is a loggia surrounding the belfry, housing five bells. The belfry is topped by a cube, alternate faces of which show the Lion of St. Mark and the female representation of Venice (la Giustizia). The tower is capped by a pyramidal spire, at the top of which sits a golden weathervane in the form of the archangel Gabriel. The campanile reached its present form in 1514. The current tower was reconstructed in its present form in 1912 after the collapse of 1902. The tower is currently undergoing structural repairs in order to halt its subsidence." (Wikipedia)
"There are certain surprises in the view from the campanile. One is that none of the water of the city is visible—not a gleam—except a few yards of the Grand Canal and a stretch of the Canale della Giudecca; the houses are too high for any of the by-ways to be seen. Another revelation is that the floor pattern of the Piazza has no relation to its sides. The roofs of Venice we observe to be neither red nor brown, but something between the two. Looking first to the north, over the three flagstaffs and the pigeon feeders and the Merceria clock, we see away across the lagoon the huge sheds of the dirigibles and (to the left) the long railway causeway joining Venice to the mainland as by a thread. Immediately below us in the north-east are the domes of S. Mark's, surmounted by the graceful golden balls on their branches, springing from the leaden roof, and farther off are the rising bulk of SS. Giovanni e Paolo, with its derivative dome and golden balls, the leaning tower of S. Maria del Pianto, and beyond this the cemetery and Murano." (E. V. Lucas: A Wanderer in Venice, New York 1914).
• Added to the gallery on Apr 1, 2012
• File size: 3.1 MB
: 5543 (#940
• Added to the gallery on May 17, 2012
• File size: 3.6 MB
: 4996 (#1220
Inside the crypt of the church of San Zaccaria in the San Marco district of Venice.
Wikipedia: "San Zaccaria is a church in Venice
, northern Italy, dedicated to St. Zacharias, the father of John the Baptist, whose body it supposedly contains. It is a large edifice, located in the quiet Campo San Zaccaria, just off the waterfront to the south east of St. Mark's basilica. [...] The first church on the site was founded by Doge Giustiniano Participazio in the 9th century and eight doges are buried in the still existing crypt".
• Added to the gallery on May 6, 2012
• File size: 3.2 MB
: 4463 (#1531
The bell tower of the San Giorgio Maggiore church in Venice. #
• Added to the gallery on Feb 20, 2012
• File size: 2.5 MB
: 4020 (#1745
Inside the 17th-century church of Santa Maria della Salute in Venice.
Wikipedia: The Basilica of St Mary of Health (Italian: Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute
), commonly known simply as the Salute, is a Roman Catholic church and minor basilica located in the Dorsoduro
sestiere of the Italian city of Venice
. It stands on a narrow finger of land between the Grand Canal and the Bacino di San Marco
making the church visible when entering the Piazza San Marco
from the water. The Salute is part of the parish of the Gesuati and is the most recent of the so-called Plague-churches.
In 1630 Venice experienced an unusually devastating outbreak of the plague. As a votive offering for the city's deliverance from the pestilence, the Republic of Venice vowed to build and dedicate a church to Our Lady of Health (or of Deliverance, Italian: Salute). The church was designed in the then fashionable baroque style by Baldassare Longhena, who studied under the architect Vincenzo Scamozzi. Construction began in 1631. Most of the objects of art housed in the church bear references to the Black Death.
• Added to the gallery on Mar 31, 2012
• File size: 4.0 MB
: 11431 (#119