|Inside the church of San Felice in the Cannaregio district of Venice.
It was founded in the 10th century, although the first document mentioning it dates to 1117. It was reconsecrated in 1267 by the patriarch of Caorle and Jesolo after it had been deeply renewed. Starting from 1531, it was completely rebuilt in the style of Mauro Codussi.
The church has a square plan with two façade, the main one featuring pilasters with Corinthian capitals. The interior is on the Greek cross plan, with four pillars at the crossing supporting the arcades of the dome.
Artworks include a St. Demetrius attributed to the early Tintoretto (c. 1547) and a crucifix attributed to Andrea Brustolon. An inscription in the interior recalls the baptism of Carlo Rezzonico, future Pope Clement XIII, occurred here in 29 March 1693. (Text from Wikipedia).
• Added to the gallery on Feb 20, 2012
• File size: 3.0 MB
: 2919 (#2121
Inside the church of Santi Apostoli in the Cannaregio district of Venice.
The Chiesa dei Santi Apostoli di Cristo, commonly called Santi Apostoli, is one of the oldest churches in the city although it has undergone numerous changes since its foundation. The present building is the result of a major reconstruction project which was undertaken in 1575.
In the 7th century Venice was not yet a city, but a collection of small communities scattered throughout the lagoon. Saint Magnus, the Bishop of Oderzo, came to the lagoon and founded eight churches. According to a legend recounted by the historian Flaminio Cornaro, St. Magnus had a vision of the Twelve Apostles who commanded him to build a church on a site where he saw twelve cranes. The church presently stands on the Campo dei Santi Apostoli at the beginning of the Strada Nuova (New Road).
The church retains its 16th century layout: a single nave supported by two rows of columns. The ceiling fresco is Communion of the Apostles and the Triumph of the Eucharist by Fabio Canal. (Text based on Wikipedia).
• Added to the gallery on Mar 12, 2012
• File size: 3.9 MB
: 2964 (#2098
Inside the Gothic church of Santi Giovanni e Paolo in the Castello district of Venice.
Wikipedia: The Basilica di San Giovanni e Paolo, known in the Venetian dialect as San Zanipolo, is one of the largest churches in the city. It has the status of a minor basilica. After the 15th century the funeral services of all of Venice's doges were held here, and twenty-five doges are buried in the church.
A huge brick edifice built in the Italian Gothic style, it is the principal Dominican church of Venice, and as such was built for preaching to large congregations. It is dedicated to John and Paul, not the Biblical Apostles of the same names, but two obscure martyrs of the Early Christian church in Rome, whose names were recorded in the 3rd century but whose legend is of a later date.
In 1246, Doge Jacopo Tiepolo donated some swampland to the Dominicans after dreaming of a flock of white doves flying over it. The first church was demolished in 1333, when the current church was begun. It was not completed until 1430.
The vast interior contains many funerary monuments and paintings, as well as the Madonna della Pace, a miraculous Byzantine statue situated in its own chapel in the south aisle, and a foot of St Catherine of Siena, the church's chief relic.
• Added to the gallery on Mar 14, 2012
• File size: 4.4 MB
: 3389 (#1947
On the square in front of the church of San Giobbe in the Cannaregio district of Venice.
"Its principal entrance is a very fine example of early Renaissance sculpture. Note in it, especially, its beautiful use of the flower of the convolvulus. There are said to be still more beautiful examples of the same period, in the interior." (John Ruskin: The Stones of Venice).
• Added to the gallery on Mar 16, 2012
• File size: 2.8 MB
: 2782 (#2183
Inside the church of San Geremia in the Cannaregio district of Venice.
Wikipedia: "The edifice is popular as the seat of the cult of Saint Lucy of Syracuse, whose remains are housed inside.
The first church was erected here in the 11th century, and was later rebuilt on several occasions. In 1206 it is mentioned to house the remains of St. Magnus of Oderzo (died 670), who had taken refuge in this area from the Lombards. A first rebuilding was held under doge Sebastiano Ziani, the new church being consecrated in 1292. The current edifice dates from 1753, designed by Carlo Corbellini; the façade is from 1861. The brickwork bell tower (probably dating from the 12th century) has two thin Romanesque mullioned windows at the base.
The interior has rather sober walls. The altar and its presbytery are notable, with two statues of St. Peter and St. Jeremy Apostle (1798). A work by Palma the Younger (The Virgin at the Incoronation of Venice by St. Magnus) decorates the fourth altar.
The church is object of pilgrimages and wide devotion for the presence of the relics of Saint Lucy, which were carried here in 1861 when the church dedicated to her was demolished. In 1955 Angelo Roncalli, future Pope John XXIII and then Patriarch of Venice, had a silver mask put on the saint's face to protect it from dust. The saint's body was stolen on July 7, 1981, but was restored in December of the same year without any ransom".
• Added to the gallery on Feb 2, 2012
• File size: 3.5 MB
: 2895 (#2129