The Albatros B.II biplane, displayed during the 2011 International Night of Museums in the new building of the Polish Aviation Museum in Kraków.
"The Albatros B.II was a two seat, all wood, school and reconnaissance biplane. Ernst Heinkel designed a big biplane, powered with a liquid cooled engine and a tractor propeller. It was the beginning of the German construction line, quickly adopted in the aeronautical world. These aircraft, known also as the "tractors", were characterised by stability and solid construction. [...] In Poland, after regaining independence some 100 (according to other sources, only 60) Albatroses B.II were utilised and used for military training. Considering the flight characteristics and the durability, they obtained an excellent opinion among flyers. The last Albatros B.II was withdrawn from service with the Polish Air Force in 1927.
The exhibit on display comes from the post war series and bears the 10019 factory number. It was produced in 1919 and belongs to the longest exploited airframes - it flew until 1940. Under the terms of the bilateral agreement between the Polish Aviation Museum in Krakow and the Berlin Verkehr und Technik Museum, the airframe was restored in Germany in 1986, applying the fake paint and markings, imitating the 1302/15 Albatros B.II named the "Ada". The similar aircraft flew in 1920 with the Aviation Observers Officers School in Toruń." (Description taken from the museum website).
• Added to the gallery on May 22, 2011
• File size: 2.1 MB
: 3669 (#1861