Inside the Orthodox Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (commonly known as Uspieńska church or the Wallachian Church) in Lviv's Old Town.
The current building replaced an earlier church structure, and was built in the period 1591-1629 by Paul Roman, Wojciech Kapinos and Ambrose Przychylny; the bell tower was erected in the years 1571-1578 by Peter Barbon. The Orthodox Church complex is located at ul. Ruska and consists of the Uspensky church, bell tower (the Korniakta Tower) and the Chapel of the Three Saints.
The founder of the first church was Moldovan hospodar Alexandru Lăpușneanu (hence it carries the common name of Vlachs). The second church was erected on the initiative of the Brotherhood of Ouspensky, and the founder of the bell tower and the chapel was Constantine Corniaktos, a Greek merchant. Korniakta Tower is considered one of the most precious monuments of Polish architecture of the sixteenth century Mannerism architectural style." (Text from Wikipedia).
• Added to the gallery on Nov 10, 2014
• File size: 3.7 MB
: 2057 (#2445