Not working? Install DevalVR, QT or Flash  polski English RSS feedFollow us on TwitterFollow me on Pinterest
Search in panoramas:
»
The famous Fountain of the Four Rivers on Piazza Navona in Rome. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
The famous Fountain of the Four Rivers on Piazza Navona in Rome.

Wikipedia: "It was designed in 1651 by Gian Lorenzo Bernini for Pope Innocent X whose family palace, the Palazzo Pamphili, faced onto the piazza as did the church of Sant'Agnese in Agone of which Innocent was the sponsor. The base of the fountain is a basin from the centre of which travertine rocks rise to support four river gods and above them, an ancient Egyptian obelisk surmounted with the Pamphili family emblem of a dove with an olive twig. Collectively, they represent four major rivers of the four continents through which papal authority had spread: the Nile representing Africa, the Danube representing Europe, the Ganges representing Asia, and the Plate representing the Americas.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.5 MBViews: 13184 (#69)
The view from one of the bastions of Castel Sant'Angelo over the Tiber river with the famous Bernini bridge. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
The view from one of the bastions of Castel Sant'Angelo over the Tiber river with the famous Bernini bridge.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.0 MBViews: 3576 (#1892)
Ponte Sant'Angelo
The Fontana delle Tartarughe (The Turtle Fountain) in the Piazza Mattei, in the Sant'Angelo district of Rome, Italy. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
The Fontana delle Tartarughe (The Turtle Fountain) in the Piazza Mattei, in the Sant'Angelo district of Rome, Italy.

Designed by Giacomo della Porta, the Fountain of the Tortoises was built in 1581-1588 and decorated with four delicate bronze youths surmounting four dolphins by the florentine sculptor Taddeo Landini. The monument represents a unique creation of artistic world of XVI century in Rome. The sculptures of youths and dolphins appear to be the most impressive feature of the fountain compared with its architectural structure with its elaborate display of polychrome precious marble varieties: "bigio antico" for the upper basin, "pavonazzetto" for the baluster, "africano" for the shells. These decorative elements make this fountain comparable to the Florentine models and make it a true gem of Manierist art.

After the restoration of the ancient Acqua Vergine Aqueduct, the "Camera Capitolina", the Council of the Capitoline Township, in 1570 decided for a comprehensive fountain building program designed by the Architect Giacomo della Porta, which would include numerous monumental fountains. According to the program a fountain was to be placed in the Piazza Giudea nearby. Muzio Mattei, a noble man whose palace was in Piazza Mattei, insisted that the fountain be moved to this square, in turn he promised to pave the square at his own expenses and keep the fountain clear.

Four bronze tortoises are placed on the edge of the upper basin. Although they give the name to the fountain they were added perhaps by the hand of G. L. Bernini himself only at the time of the 1658-59 restoration carried out by Pope Alessandro VII (1655-1667) whose name appears on the inscriptions on the basis of the monument. (Text from the nearby information plaque).

• Added to the gallery on File size: 2.9 MBViews: 4622 (#1416)
The Turtle Fountain in RomeThe Turtle Fountain in RomeThe Turtle Fountain in Rome
Inside the church of Santa Maria della Vittoria in Rome, Italy. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Inside the church of Santa Maria della Vittoria in Rome, Italy.

"Langdon and Vittoria dashed to the main entrance of the church of Santa Maria della Vittoria and found the wooden door locked. Vittoria fired three shots from Olivetti’s semi-automatic into the ancient bolt, and it shattered.
The church had no anteroom, so the entirety of the sanctuary spread out in one gasping sweep as Langdon and Vittoria threw open the main door. The scene before them was so unexpected, so bizarre, that Langdon had to close his eyes and reopen them before his mind could take it all in.
The church was lavish baroque...gilded walls and altars. Dead center of the sanctuary, beneath the main cupola, wooden pews had been stacked high and were now ablaze in some sort of epic funeral pyre. A bonfire shooting high into the dome. As Langdon’s eyes followed the inferno upward, the true horror of the scene descended like a bird of prey.
High overhead, from the left and right sides of the ceiling, hung two incensor cables — lines used for swinging frankincense vessels above the congregation. These lines, however, carried no incensors now. Nor were they swinging. They had been used for something else...
Suspended from the cables was a human being. A naked man. Each wrist had been connected to an opposing cable, and he had been hoisted almost to the point of being torn apart. His arms were outstretched in a spread–eagle as if he were nailed to some sort of invisible crucifix hovering within the house of God." (Dan Brown: Angels and Demons, 2000)

Wikipedia: "The church was begun in 1605 as a chapel dedicated to Saint Paul for the Discalced Carmelites. After the Catholic victory at the battle of White Mountain in 1620, which reversed the Reformation in Bohemia, the church was rededicated to the Virgin Mary. Turkish standards captured at the 1683 siege of Vienna hang in the church, as part of this theme of victory. The order itself funded the building work until the discovery in the excavations of the Borghese Hermaphroditus. Scipione Borghese, nephew of Pope Paul V, appropriated this sculpture but in return funded the rest of work on the facade and granted the order his architect Giovanni Battista Soria. These grants only came into effect in 1624, and work was completed two years later.

The church is the only structure designed and completed by the early Baroque architect Carlo Maderno, though the interior suffered a fire in 1833 and required restoration. Its façade, however, was erected by Giovanni Battista Soria during Maderno's lifetime, 1624–1626, showing the unmistakable influence of Maderno's Santa Susanna nearby.

Its interior has a single wide nave under a low segmental vault, with three interconnecting side chapels behind arches separated by colossal corinthian pilasters with gilded capitals that support an enriched entablature. Contrasting marble revetments are enriched with white and gilded stucco angels and putti in full relief. The interior was sequentially enriched after Maderno's death; its vault was frescoed in 1675 with triumphant themes within shaped compartments with feigned frames: The Virgin Mary Triumphing over Heresy and Fall of the Rebel Angels executed by Giovanni Domenico Cerrini.

The masterpiece in the Cornaro Chapel, to the left of the altar, is Ecstasy of St. Teresa by Scipione's favored sculptor, Bernini. The statues depict a moment described by Saint Teresa of Avila in her autobiography, where she had the vivid vision of an angel piercing her heart with a golden shaft, causing her both immense joy and pain. The flowing robes and contorted posture abandon classical restraint and repose to depict a more passionate, almost voluptuous trance".

• Added to the gallery on File size: 4.9 MBViews: 7061 (#469)
Bernini's "Ecstasy of St. Teresa"The church of Santa Maria della Vittoria, Rome
Page
1
Locate all panoramas
Contact
Interested?
Mail me at
panoramy@zbooy.pl
Last comment
Thursday, Nov 2, 2017: On the walls of Palácio da Pena in Sintra, Portugal
Palácio da Pena
Czy to już jest koniec? :( (widz)
© Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
2005–2017