Not working? Install DevalVR, QT or Flash  polski English RSS feedFollow us on TwitterFollow me on Pinterest
Search in panoramas:
»
Piazza Erbe: the most beautiful of squares in Mantua, Italy. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Piazza Erbe: the most beautiful of squares in Mantua, Italy.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 2.7 MBViews: 2830 (#2147)
Inside the Basilica of Sant’Andrea, a Roman Catholic co-cathedral and minor basilica in Mantua, Lombardy (Italy). 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Inside the Basilica of Sant’Andrea, a Roman Catholic co-cathedral and minor basilica in Mantua, Lombardy (Italy).

"It is one of the major works of 15th century Renaissance architecture in Northern Italy. Commissioned by Ludovico II Gonzaga, the church was begun in 1462 according to designs by Leon Battista Alberti on a site occupied by a Benedictine monastery, of which the bell tower (1414) remains. The building, however, was finished only 328 years later. Though later changes and expansions altered Alberti’s design, the church is still considered to be one of Alberti’s most complete works.

The façade, built abutting a pre-existing bell tower (1414), is based on the scheme of the ancient Arch of Titus. It is largely a brick structure with hardened stucco used for the surface. It is defined by a large central arch, flanked by Corinthian pilasters. There are smaller openings to the right and left of the arch. A novel aspect of the design was the integration of a lower order, comprising the fluted Corinthian columns, with a giant order, comprising the taller, unfluted pilasters. The whole is surmounted by a pediment and above that a vaulted structure, the purpose of which is not exactly known, but presumably to shade the window opening into the church behind it.

An important aspect of Alberti’s design was the correspondence between the façade and the interior elevations, both elaborations of the triumphal arch motif. The nave of the interior is roofed by a barrel vault, one of the first times such a form was used in such a monumental scale since antiquity, and quite likely modeled on the Basilica of Maxentius in Rome. Alberti most likely had planned for the vault to be coffered, much like the smaller barrel vault in the entrance, but lack of funds led to the vault being constructed as a simple barrel vault with the coffers then being painted on. Originally, the building was planned without a transept, and possibly even without a dome. This phase of construction more or less ended in 1494.

In 1597, the lateral arms were added and the crypt finished. The massive dome (1732–1782) was designed by Filippo Juvarra, and the final decorations on the interior added under Paolo Pozzo and others in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.

The purpose of the new building was to contain the pilgrims who visited it during the feast of Ascension when a vial, that the faithful argue contains the Blood of Christ, is brought up from the crypt below through a hole in the floor directly under the dome. The relic, called Preziosissimo Sangue di Cristo ("Most Precious Blood of Christ"), is preserved in the Sacred Vessels, according to the tradition was brought to Mantua by the Roman centurion Longinus. It was highly venerated during the Renaissance. The shrines are displayed only on the Good Friday, to the faithful and then brought out along the streets of Mantua in a procession." (Text from Wikipedia).

• Added to the gallery on File size: 4.7 MBViews: 3029 (#2068)
The Basilica of Sant’Andrea, Mantua
Inside the Cathedral of St. Peter the Apostle in Mantua, Lombardy (Italy). 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Inside the Cathedral of St. Peter the Apostle in Mantua, Lombardy (Italy).

"An initial structure probably existed on the site in the Early Christian era, which was followed by an edifice destroyed by a fire in 894. The current church was rebuilt in 1395-1401 with the addition of side chapels and a magnificent Gothic facade, which can still be seen in a sketch by Domenico Morone, which is preserved in the Palazzo Ducale of the city. [...] After another fire in the 16th century, Giulio Romano remade the interior but saved the facade. The latter was however replaced in 1756-1761 by the current one in the Baroque style, done in Carrara marble. Of the Renaissance edifice, its characteristics are the cusps, decorated with rose windows on the right side, which end with the Gothic bell tower." (Text from Wikipedia).
• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.6 MBViews: 2656 (#2229)
Piazza Sordello, the main square of Mantua, Lombardy (Italy). 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Piazza Sordello, the main square of Mantua, Lombardy (Italy).
• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.5 MBViews: 2471 (#2303)
The view from the Torrazzo, the bell tower of the Cathedral of Cremona in Lombardy, Italy. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
The view from the Torrazzo, the bell tower of the Cathedral of Cremona in Lombardy, Italy.

Wikipedia: At 112.7 metres (343 ft 6 in), it is the third tallest brickwork bell tower in the world, the first being the tower of St. Martin's Church in Landshut, Bavaria, the second being that of the Church of Our Lady in Bruges, Belgium. However the Torrazzo (completed in 1309) is older than the Landshut tower (completed in 1500) and the Bruges tower (completed in 1465), and it is the oldest brick structure taller than 100 m that is still standing.

According to popular tradition, construction on the tower began in 754. In reality, it was built in four phases: a first dating back to the 1230s, up to the third dripstone, a second, between 1250 and 1267, up to the dripstone under the quadriphore, a third around 1284, and the completion of the marble spire in 1309.

Its height is announced by a plaque embedded in the wall at the base of the Torrazzo itself, stating 250 arms and 2 ounces, which in the ancient measuring system of the Lombard towns translates to approximately 111 metres".

• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.4 MBViews: 2581 (#2251)
Cremona: ticket to the TorrazzoCremona: 502 steps to the TorrazzoCremona: the stairs inside the TorrazzoCremona: the view from the TorrazzoCremona: the view from the TorrazzoCremona: the top of the Torrazzo
Page
1 2 3 4
Locate all panoramas
Contact
Interested?
Mail me at
panoramy@zbooy.pl
Last comment
Thursday, Nov 2, 2017: On the walls of Palácio da Pena in Sintra, Portugal
Palácio da Pena
Czy to już jest koniec? :( (widz)
© Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
2005–2017